Do you touch books after accidentally dropping them?

Debashis

Do you touch books after accidentally dropping them?

Post by Debashis » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:35 am

In India, there's a culture of touching books as a sign of apology whenever we drop one by mistake on the ground since we believe knowledge to be sacred in our culture. We act the same way when we step on a book by mistake. If someone steps on a book or drops it, and then doesn't feel apologetic for it, it's considered disrespectful.

"Knowledge maketh a man"

Is that something which you follow as well?

Shortie

Re: Do you touch books after accidentally dropping them?

Post by Shortie » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:51 pm

This is very interesting and not something I have heard of before. I live in England and this is not something we do in our country, usually when we drop or step on a book, we pick it up place it back where it belongs and leave it at that.

I guess in a sense though, being that we dropped or stepped on the book and then we end up picking it up, I guess we are touching it after we have dropped or stepped on it so I do wonder if that is similar or even the same?

Debashis

Post by Debashis » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:05 pm

Shortie wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:51 pm This is very interesting and not something I have heard of before. I live in England and this is not something we do in our country, usually when we drop or step on a book, we pick it up place it back where it belongs and leave it at that.

I guess in a sense though, being that we dropped or stepped on the book and then we end up picking it up, I guess we are touching it after we have dropped or stepped on it so I do wonder if that is similar or even the same?
Oh I see. It's different actually @Shortie . We pick up the book, hold it with both our hands, touch it to our forehead, close our eyes & say sorry in mind, then touch it to our chest and finally keep it back. :)

The Raven

Post by The Raven » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:45 am

Well, I have an atmost respect for books. It doesn't matter if they are bad in content like 50 shades of gray, a book is of great value to me because one day, centuries in the future, they may found modern books and read them, understand how we used to think, to see society, people around us, how we used to communicate. There won't be somebody to let them know, there is only a written trace.

But, there are videos, of course and movies, tv series. However, I don't think the future will have all of this saved, my thoughts are that we are going to fall and destroy ourselves so that minority is left out there and we will begin from scratch.